Timely Warnings & Crime Alerts
Timely Warning for the Auraria Campus - October 11, 2017
Posted October 11th, 2017
In compliance with the “Timely Notice” provisions of the Federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998, the Auraria Higher Education Center located in downtown Denver is issuing the following notice of a crime that occurred on or adjacent to the Auraria Campus.
Tuesday, October 10, 2017 – Approximately 4:00 p.m.
ROBBERY BETWEEN KING CENTER AND PLAZA BUILDING
REPORTED OFFENSE: Auraria Campus Police are investigating a reported strong-arm robbery that occurred at approximately 4:00pm on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 (while the incident occurred yesterday, it was only recently reported to police). The victim reports that they were approached by an older male that appeared to be dressed similar to a Buddhist monk. The suspect proceeded to say “donation” and show them a sign that said “peace”, then grabbed the victim by the back of the neck and used force while asking for cash from the victim. A map showing the location of the alleged crime can be found here.
SUSPECTS: The suspect is described as an Asian male, 5’8”, in his 40’s with short black hair and a wrinkled face with a black mole. He was wearing an orange trench coat or robe, and a grey bucket hat. The suspect appears to have been present on campus with others in similarly-dressed clothing. Police have been unable to locate the suspect, but have received multiple reports of harassment from individuals that match this suspect’s description.
REPORT INFORMATION ABOUT THE INCIDENT
If you or someone you know has any information that might be helpful in this investigation, please contact the Auraria Campus Police Department.
• Call: 303-556-5000
• Text-a-Tip: 720-593-TIPS (8477)
• Visit in person: 1201 5th Street, Administration Building, Room 110
• Call with an anonymous tip: 303-556-2677
Crime survivors are not responsible for their victimization; perpetrators are accountable for their crimes and the outcomes of their actions. The following safety information may help reduce the possibility of becoming a victim of a crime.
• Trust your instincts: If you suspect something is wrong, or if a situation seems dangerous, you’re probably right. Immediately call the Auraria Campus Police Department from any campus phone by dialing 911 or from a cell phone by dialing 303-556-5000. You may also “Text-a-Tip” to the Auraria Campus Police Department at 720-593-TIPS (8477).
• Blue light emergency telephones: Be aware of the blue light emergency telephones in parking lots and walkways throughout campus. Use these telephones to be immediately connected with the Auraria Campus Police Department.
• Bystanders: Be aware of your surroundings. If you see a person in distress, seek immediate help from the Auraria Campus Police Department.
• Program your phone: Store the Auraria Campus Police Department phone number and text-a-tip line in your “favorites” on your cell phone to have the numbers at your fingertips in the event of an emergency. Dispatch: 303-556-5000, Text-a-Tip: 720-593-TIPS (8477)
More safety tips from the Auraria Campus Police Department: www.ahec.edu/safetytips
• Phoenix Center at Auraria (PCA): Free and confidential assistance to survivors of interpersonal violence.
24/7 Helpline: 303-315-7323
• Health Center at Auraria – Victim Assistance Program: Support and resources for survivors of interpersonal violence.
303-352-HELP (4357), After-hours: 303-352-4455
• NightRider Service: A safe evening shuttle service to and from campus buildings and parking lots.
• Victim Assistance Unit (DPD): Support, info, and referrals for victims of crime, witnesses, and/or their families.
• The Blue Bench (formerly RAAP): A sexual assault hotline and resources for the metropolitan Denver area.
View this Timely Warning on our website: www.ahec.edu
- About Auraria Campus
- About Auraria Campus - About AHEC
- AHEC Leadership
- Auraria Board of Directors
- Annual Report
- Auraria Campus Newsletter
- Smoking Policy
- Campus Planning & Development
- Campus Sustainability
- Campus-Wide Policies
- Early Learning Center - About Auraria
- King Center
- Parking & Transportation Services - about Auraria
- ID Center-About Auraria
- Police Department - About Auraria
- Emergency Preparedness - Auraria
- Employment Opportunities - Auraria
- Contact Us - Auraria Campus Main Contact Page
- For Campus Faculty & Staff
- For Students
- Tivoli Student Union - Students
- Early Learning Center - for students
- Parking & Transportation Services - For Students
- Police Department - For Students
- Emergency Preparedness - For Students
- ID Center - For Students
- Building Hours - For Students
- Event Services - For Students
- Student Facilities Services - Students
- Academic Services- For Students
- For AHEC Staff
- Human Resources
- Facilities Services - AHEC Staff
- Procurement Services - For AHEC Staff
- Accounting Services
- Campus Police Department - For AHEC Staff
- Emergency Preparedness - for AHEC Staff
- Event Services - for AHEC
- Parking &Transportation Services - for AHEC Staff
- Integrated Marketing & Communications
- Information Technology
- ID Center - For AHEC
- Distribution Services (Mail) - For AHEC Staff