Timely Warnings & Crime Alerts
Timely Warning for the Auraria Campus - May 18, 2017
Posted May 18th, 2017
In compliance with the “Timely Notice” provisions of the Federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998, the Auraria Higher Education Center located in downtown Denver is issuing the following notice of a crime that occurred adjacent to the Auraria Campus.
Thursday, May 18, 2017 – Approximately 4:43 p.m.
ROBBERY AT AURARIA WEST LIGHT RAIL STATION
REPORTED OFFENSE: Auraria Campus Police are investigating a case of robbery at the Auraria West RTD light rail station. The victim was riding the train, and when it stopped at the station, the suspect forcibly grabbed the victim’s cell phone from them and ran off of the train. The victim chased the suspect for a short time, but was unable to catch them. A map showing the location of the crime can be found here.
SUSPECTS: The suspect is described as a black male in his 20’s, slim build, wearing a dark gray hooded jacket, grey pants, and red shoes. He was wearing a yellow and purple bandana over part of his face, and had his hood up over his head. A picture of the suspect is attached. The suspect fled eastbound from the light rail platform.
REPORT INFORMATION ABOUT THE INCIDENT
If you or someone you know has any information that might be helpful in this investigation, please contact the Auraria Campus Police Department.
• Call: 303-556-5000
• Text-a-Tip: 720-593-TIPS (8477)
• Visit in person: 1201 5th Street, Administration Building, Room 110
• Call with an anonymous tip: 303-556-2677
Crime survivors are not responsible for their victimization; perpetrators are accountable for their crimes and the outcomes of their actions. The following safety information may help reduce the possibility of becoming a victim of a crime.
• Trust your instincts: If you suspect something is wrong, or if a situation seems dangerous, you’re probably right. Immediately call the Auraria Campus Police Department from any campus phone by dialing 911 or from a cell phone by dialing 303-556-5000. You may also “Text-a-Tip” to the Auraria Campus Police Department at 720-593-TIPS (8477).
• Blue light emergency telephones: Be aware of the blue light emergency telephones in parking lots and walkways throughout campus. Use these telephones to be immediately connected with the Auraria Campus Police Department.
• Bystanders: Be aware of your surroundings. If you see a person in distress, seek immediate help from the Auraria Campus Police Department.
• Program your phone: Store the Auraria Campus Police Department phone number and text-a-tip line in your “favorites” on your cell phone to have the numbers at your fingertips in the event of an emergency. Dispatch: 303-556-5000, Text-a-Tip: 720-593-TIPS (8477)
More safety tips from the Auraria Campus Police Department: www.ahec.edu/safetytips
• Phoenix Center at Auraria (PCA): Free and confidential assistance to survivors of interpersonal violence.
24/7 Helpline: 303-315-7323
• Health Center at Auraria – Victim Assistance Program: Support and resources for survivors of interpersonal violence.
303-352-HELP (4357), After-hours: 303-352-4455
• NightRider Service: A safe evening shuttle service to and from campus buildings and parking lots.
• Victim Assistance Unit (DPD): Support, info, and referrals for victims of crime, witnesses, and/or their families.
• The Blue Bench (formerly RAAP): A sexual assault hotline and resources for the metropolitan Denver area.
View this Timely Warning on our website: www.ahec.edu
- About Auraria Campus
- About Auraria Campus - About AHEC
- AHEC Leadership
- Auraria Board of Directors
- Annual Report
- Auraria Campus Newsletter
- Smoking Policy
- Campus Planning & Development
- Campus Sustainability
- Campus-Wide Policies
- Early Learning Center - About Auraria
- King Center
- Parking & Transportation Services - about Auraria
- ID Center-About Auraria
- Police Department - About Auraria
- Emergency Preparedness - Auraria
- Employment Opportunities - Auraria
- Contact Us - Auraria Campus Main Contact Page
- For Campus Faculty & Staff
- For Students
- Tivoli Student Union - Students
- Early Learning Center - for students
- Parking & Transportation Services - For Students
- Police Department - For Students
- Emergency Preparedness - For Students
- ID Center - For Students
- Building Hours - For Students
- Event Services - For Students
- Student Facilities Services - Students
- Academic Services- For Students
- Tivoli Student Union - Students
- For AHEC Staff
- Human Resources
- Facilities Services - AHEC Staff
- Procurement Services - For AHEC Staff
- Accounting Services
- Campus Police Department - For AHEC Staff
- Emergency Preparedness - for AHEC Staff
- Event Services - for AHEC
- Parking &Transportation Services - for AHEC Staff
- Integrated Marketing & Communications
- Information Technology
- ID Center - For AHEC
- Distribution Services (Mail) - For AHEC Staff