Leadership & Command Structure
Chief of Police
The Auraria Campus Police Department is committed to enhancing the quality of life on the Auraria Campus and for the institutions it serves—the Community College of Denver, Metropolitan State University of Denver, University of Colorado Denver, and the Auraria Higher Education Center.
Chief Michael J. Phibbs leads the Auraria Campus Police Department, with full oversight over protection of life and property, detection of crime, enforcement of laws and regulations, investigations, traffic control, and building and facility security.
Investigations & Community Relations
Led by: Commander Jason Mollendor
- The Investigations Division is responsible for conducting and managing investigations of all incidents that occur on campus.
- The Community Relations Team delivers exceptional service and support to the institutions by providing safety support at events and activities, and by educating the community in personal safety, risk awareness, crime prevention, drug and alcohol awareness, and other safety issues.
- To maintain a safe and vibrant community, the ACPD introduced the Neighborhood Community Officer (NCO) Program, which delivers a high level of support and security to the institutions by providing an increased police presence in each Auraria Campus neighborhood. NCOs establish relationships with students, faculty, and staff in their assigned neighborhood to be recognized as the "go-to" campus safety resource.
- The Communications & Dispatch Team is responsible for responding to emergency and non-emergency phone calls and for utilizing and maintaining a two-way radio system to dispatch and monitor patrol personnel. The Dispatch Team also operates and maintains the Colorado and National Crime Information Center database to provide police personnel with pertinent information when needed.
Patrol & Operations
Led by: Vacant
- The Patrol Division is staffed by uniformed officers who patrol the Auraria Campus seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to prevent crime, maintain peace, apprehend offenders, and protect life and property. Officers respond to a variety of civil and administrative matters, as well as enforce applicable local, state, and federal codes, ordinances, and laws. Other services include:
- Night escorts to vehicles on campus
- Unlocking vehicles (when you have lost or locked your keys in the vehicle)
- Emergency response
- Crime prevention programs
- After-hours admission to campus buildings
- The Bike Unit performs regular patrol duties to maintain campus safety by mountain bike. They are equipped to act on any situation on campus, and are often able to respond more quickly than police cruisers given the nature of bicycle maneuverability and access. The Bike Unit team is certified through a Bicycle Patrol Unit training course, which emphasizes patrol procedures, safety, and accident avoidance.
- The DUI Unit is committed to reducing the number of impaired drivers on the road by enforcing impairment laws (DUI/DWAI) and by delivering alcohol awareness presentations to the campus community. The DUI Unit has been recognized by the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) organization for two years in a row for "Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement."
- The K9 Unit provides enhanced safety and community policing service for the campus. Dash and his handler ACPD Officer Corey Averill focus on explosives detection. As a team, they respond and investigate calls related to explosive materials on campus. In addition, the team supports high-profile events that require protective sweeps.
- About Auraria Campus
- About Auraria Campus
- AHEC Leadership
- Auraria Board of Directors
- Annual Report
- Auraria Campus Newsletter
- Smoking Zones on the Auraria Campus
- Campus Planning & Development
- Campus Sustainability
- Campus-Wide Policies
- Early Learning Center
- King Center
- Parking & Transportation Services
- Parking Citations (Payments & Appeals)
- Parking Options
- Transportation Services
- Passenger Pick-Up and Drop-Off
- Public Transit (RTD) and Alternative Transportation
- Parking for Sporting Events, Concerts, & Community Events
- Parking Validations Request
- Parking Rules & Regulations
- Student Employment Opportunities
- Contact Us
- ID Station
- Police Department
- Emergency Preparedness
- Employment Opportunities with AHEC
- Contact Us