Auraria Campus
The Auraria Campus
The CampusCampus FactsCampus HistoryCampus LandmarksCampus ServicesCampus StatisticsAHEC Website

Landmarks

Ninth Street Historic Park

At the heart of the Auraria Campus, thirteen restored Victorian cottages and one turn-of-the century grocery store serve as a picturesque reminder of the city’s earliest days. The structures on Ninth Street Historic Park, built between 1872 and 1906, comprise the oldest restored block of residences in the city.  Ninth Street houses now serve as campus offices.  A self-guided walking tour at each building provides information on architecture and early residents. There is no charge for visiting the Park.
.

9th Street
The Golda Meir House

The only remaining U.S. residence of former Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir,  a Denver landmark,  serves as a museum, conference center, and the Metropolitan State University of Denver Golda Meir Center for Political Leadership.

In 1913, Golda ran away from her parents’ home in Milwaukee to continue her education in Denver. She joined her sister Sheyna, a recovering consumptive, her brother-in-law Sam Korngold and their daughter Judith in a small duplex on Denver’s Jewish west side. During this time, she worked at her brother-in-law’s laundry, attended classes at North High School, and gained deeper knowledge of Zionist philosophy that stressed the need for a Jewish homeland. As she said in her autobiography, "It was in Denver that my real education began."

The Golda Meir House was  restored with the assistance of private contributors and the Colorado State Historical Fund. For further information or tours, call (303) 556-3292.
.

Golda Meir House
The St. Francis Conference Center

The St. Francis Conference Center features an elegant lounge with cathedral windows, 25- foot ficus trees, distinctive chandeliers and an adjoining courtyard. The Center’s unique design won an Award of Honor for Denver architect Marvin Hatami, which was presented by the American Institute of Architects in 1982. A property of the Auraria Foundation, the Center hosts a variety of events, including wedding ceremonies, receptions, banquets, parties and other events. For further information, call (303) 556-2755.
.
St. Francis Conference Center

The Tivoli Student Union

One of Denver’s earliest breweries, the Tivoli is a striking architectural example of the city's flamboyant past. Originally named the Colorado Brewery in 1866, Tivoli was founded by German immigrant Moritz Sigi. Subsequent owner Max Melsheimer added the prominent seven story mansard tower and the Turnhalle opera house. In 1901 brewer John Good took over operations, renaming the building Tivoli after the famous gardens in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The Tivoli was one of the most successful breweries in the Rockies, and one of the few to survive prohibition. A major flood and labor strikes forced its closure in 1969. When the Auraria Campus was built, a private developer leased the building and restored it as a specialty shopping center. In 1991, students voted to buy back the lease and renovate the building as a combination retail center and student union.
.


Tivoli Student Union
St. Cajetan’s Center

The Spanish Colonial St. Cajetan’s Church, built in l925, was one of three Catholic churches clustered within a six block radius in the Auraria neighborhood.  St. Cajetan’s served as the focus of Auraria’s Spanish-speaking community until 1973, when construction of the Auraria Campus forced the parish to relocate. The landmark church now serves as a multi- purpose auditorium for lectures, concerts, recitals and other community events. For further information, call (303) 556-2755.
.

St. Cajetan's Center
Emmanuel Gallery

Emmanuel is Denver’s oldest church building, originally constructed in 1876 to serve an Episcopalian congregation. The tiny stone chapel is a mixture of Romanesque and Gothic archi- tectural styles. Emmanuel was converted into a Jewish synagogue in 1903 and served as an artist’s studio from 1958 until 1973. The building was approved for listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 and currently serves Auraria as a shared art gallery for the three schools on campus.

Emmanuel Gallery

St. Elizabeth’s Church

Founded in 1878 by German immigrants, St. Elizabeth’s is still an active Catholic parish. The  German-Gothic edifice, was modeled after the cathedrals of Europe. Built of rusticated rhyolite (lava rock) quarried at nearby Colorado Springs, the building has a 162' spire.  St. Elizabeth’s is still considered one of Denver’s most beautiful church structures.


St. Elizabeth's Church

Return to AHEC main page